|Sri Sathya Sai at the entrance of Paata Mandir (The Old Mandir)|
Friday, December 14, 1945
Baba would supervise the Mandir construction work every single day. The devotees had the privilege of offering a glass of orange juice to the Lord whenever He walked through the narrow lanes of Puttaparthi. On Vaikuntha Ekadashi day, the 14th of December 1945, the first Mandir of Sri Sathya Sai Baba was inaugurated at Puttaparthi. Baba arrived from the Karnam’s house in procession accompanied by a musical troupe. He was seated on a florally decorated palanquin, with the idols of both the Sai Babas on either side. He installed the two idols in the main prayer hall.There were also photographs of Parthi Baba, Shirdi Baba and those of other deities that adorned the altar along with lamps on either sides. The group from Bangalore led by Smt. Savithramma prepared a grand feast. Baba blessed the food items. There was more than enough food available to feed the villagers. When the Prasadam brought by the devotees was being distributed, Baba took a particular plate aside and asked that it shall not be distributed. He later explained to Sri Tirumala Rao that there was poison in the laddus on that plate. By a wave of His hand, He extracted the poison and commanded that the plate be buried in a pit. On the same day, Baba went to the rear of the building and placed His palm on the ground. Soon, a spring rose from the spot. Baba ordered a well to be dug at the spot. This was the only source of drinking water in the entire village. The well never dried up even in summer.